Tuesday, July 20, 2010

History or Art History?

Which has more employment opportunities, a PhD in art history or a PhD in history (general)? I love history, but have a definite appreciation for art history. I would like to either be a professor in one of the two, or work in a museum, or perhaps another non-traditional route using skills obtained in one of the two.





I would think History might be in more demand, but at the same time there is probably more supply in History than in Art History, right? I would think more people probably major in History than in Art History.





Any enrollment numbers, job demand statistics, etc... would be great. The statistics should be differentiating between the two areas - I've already found stats that list all social science professors in one category - not very helpful.

History or Art History?
From the little research I've done, it seems that history will have a less competitive job market in coming years.





However, do whichever you're most interested in. If you're sufficiently interested in both that the employment-opportunities question is a tiebreaker... good luck deciding! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment